Thursday, July 31, 2008

"Hello, Poison Control. It's me AGAIN!!"

So, I bet none of you have had to call poison control, let alone had to call them 2 DAYS IN A ROW!!! On Tuesday I got back from visiting teaching and as I walked through the door was told that Alyssa and Haylie were eating diaper rash cream. I looked at the tube and it said to call poison control or seek immediate medical attention. I called and they said that it was non-toxic but if they got a mouth full that it might cause nausea and vomiting. Lucky for them and me, they were just fine!! THE VERY NEXT DAY, Chad and I were looking at something on the computer, and Austin came to me with his scared little voice, "mommy?" I looked up and I know I over reacted and it scared him, but what are you supposed to do when you look at your 4 year old son, and his eye is super glued shut!?!?!? I picked him up and ran to the kitchen and called poison control, while Chad kept him calm. I said hello, it's me again. My son super glued his eye shut. They asked us to look in his eye to see if it was on the inside or not, we couldn't tell, so I had to cut his eye lashes off so we could open his eye, his beautiful dark long eye lashes :( It didn't look like there was any glue inside but he said to be safe to start flushing with water, we did this for about 15-20 min. The guy said he would call back in an hour to check on him to see if his eye was hurting at all. When the super glue dries it turned into sharp tiny shards of plastic and can scratch the eye causing blindness. He didn't and hasn't complained of any pain, and it looks good, it's not red at all. So when poison control called back they said not to worry about an eye exam that night, but to just keep an eye on him. While Chad and I were so busy with Austin my niece Ashley noticed that Alyssa was covered in super glue as well. Luckily she just had it on her hands, cheek and lips. I think she used her mouth to open it, and she was playing with it and when Austin went to see what it was she lifted her hand the same time he bent down to see and got it right in his eye (just a guess)
I feel horrible that they even had access to a tube of super glue. We always keep it, out of reach, in fact, so out of reach it is impossible to find, when you need it. Luckily I have poison controls number posted by every phone. Just in case you don't have it at your house, its 1-800-222-1222 tell them Kristen sent you,

5 comments:

Casey and Diana said...

ha ha I'm sorry but couldn't help but laugh! I feel terrible about his beautiful eyelashes though. I'm glad he won't be blind!

Stake Primary Presidency said...

I am so sorry, in those cases it's when we sing "I am in His watchful care". It could always be worse, uh? TODAY IS ANOTHER DAY! SMILE!!

Nora said...

Oh my goodness! I thought we had it bad with Emma--we thought she had eaten rat poison one time, and another time(when Billy and the girls had moved to Tucson and were staying with my Mom while I settled things in Flagstaff) we thought she had gotten my Mom's blood pressure meds. To this day she is still afraid of the blood pressure cuff--after they checked her pressure in the ER every 5 minutes. It was heat-breaking for me not to be able to be there for my baby. But I would totally be bummed at having to cut off my child's eyelashes.Sure hope he's ok.

Viki said...

Never had to call with any of my young'uns just many ER visits for stitches and such. BUT -- notice that Emma's "poisonings" happened at Grandma's house while in her care? The one with the BP meds was really fun. Six hours in the ER with -- correction on Nora's telling -- BP taken every hour. Talk about a 3-year old with super human powers. It took at least 3 attempts each time to try and get an accurate reading. It was so touching after each reading because she would immediately calm down and say "Thank you" very politely to the nurse. We figure, after all that, she didn't ingest any pills.

Brooke said...

I am so sorry. I tell ya, the things we go through as moms!